Skip to main content

#IWSG The Healing Power of Writing


Happy October, writers! Time to support each other on this writing journey...join us here.

Thank you to this month's co-hosts:


IWSG Day Question: How do major life events affect your writing? Has writing ever helped you through something?

This is a timely question for me as I've been pondering why I haven't felt as motivated to write lately. (Though I do plan to finish a short story soon.)

I've realized that I don't feel the burning need to write right now because things in my career are pretty good. I went through some difficult times at work in 2007, and I unknowingly turned to writing to cope with feelings of insecurity and betrayal. The words poured out of me then. I made my ex-boss the villain of my first book, a murder mystery. (He he.)

Thank you, writing! You have helped me heal. I also feel grateful for second chances. After a six-year hiatus working elsewhere, I returned to my same position, and version 2.0 is much better. I'm less naive and more confident, and my career as a psychologist feels like a true calling.

Maybe I'll immerse myself in a sea of words again, but for now I'm happy to bask in the sunshine onshore, knowing writing is always there to dive into when I need it.



Comments

It's great that writing has helped you heal :-) Happy IWSG day!

Ronel visiting on Insecure Writer's Support Group day: Course Correction
There's a season for all things. If the career is going good, enjoy it.
Natalie Aguirre said…
I so agree with Alex. I have gone through many times when my career, family, grief, and caregiving have left me with no time to write. Glad you're enjoying your career. It is important and practical to have another job for most of us writers.
Crystal Collier said…
I love that. Writing is my escape too. Right now I use it to get away from the kids when my brain needs somewhere else to go. =)
Julie Flanders said…
This is wonderful! I'm so glad your career is back where it should be. I realized while reading this that my experience is similar. I turned to writing after some very difficult and life-altering changes at work and it was a godsend. Now though I have been struggling to write more and more and it hit me that my job is good now and I'm happy and busy. Maybe I have to be miserable to write? LOL not really but it is interesting how much our state of mind and non-writing lives can have an impact.
Chemist Ken said…
I'm glad that writing could help you out when you needed it. I just hope you can get back into it, even when life is going good. Good luck!
Amy Keeley said…
Alex said what I was going to say. So, yeah. Ditto. :)