Skip to main content

Masquerade Oddly Suited Ball Bloghop: Afternoon at Upshur Estate #MasqueradeOddlySuited #newrelease #shortstory #anthology



Welcome to the Masquerade Oddly Suited Ball Bloghop!

Today I host one of the authors of the upcoming Insecure Writers Support Group anthology, Masquerade: Oddly Suited

I'm keeping my guest anonymous as this is the masked part of the blogshop. Authors will unmask their character on April 30th when our book releases.

Here are fun facts about our mystery author:

"Much of my writing, particularly what I consider my best writing, comes during the witching hour and graveyard shift. At one point in the past, I had an inverted sleep schedule, and would be writing while most of the world was sound asleep.

There are certain bands and musical eras I originally only listened to as a matter-of-fact writing soundtrack, but which quickly became almost mandatory for me to write with inspiration and passion.

I’ve been with many of my characters since we were very young. I like to say we grew up together. Knowing them inside and out for so many years, and maturing alongside them, does wonders for giving them greater depth and knowing exactly how they tick."


Add the anthology to your Goodreads shelf! And you can pre-order on Amazon and other sites.

Elizabeth Mueller, author of The Cog Prince in the anthology, created this beautiful masked illustration of my anonymous guest's main character.



Want to see the unmasked image? (I do!) Check out all of the authors' blogs on April 30, the release date for the anthology.

Here's a sneak peek teaser, which you won't find in the anthology.


Afternoon at Upshur Estate

“Miss Wildblood, your gentleman friend has come to call on you.”
Jinx put down her well-worn book at the sound of Mrs. Upshur’s voice invading the library, though her younger sister Myrina continued reading Volume Eight of The Life and Times of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman.  Mrs. Upshur turned white when she saw what her younger charge was reading.
“Where did that obscene book originate?” Mrs. Upshur asked.
“Our house,” Myrina said. “Our parents have a lot of interesting books they let us read.  I won’t scandalize you by naming some of the others.  When we go to church, the minister never feels the need to tailor his sermon to juvenile congregants in attendance.  Why should a book be any different?”
Mrs. Upshur grimaced and turned to Jinx. “Mr. Strangeways should like to ride horses with you, Miss Wildblood, but I told him ‘twould be far more respectable to walk with you around the grounds.  I do not need to be told to ascertain you do not ride horses in the most decorous way for a lady, and I do not wish to encourage that.”
“You mean sidesaddle?” Jinx asked. “I grew up on a farm, not an estate.  You’re talking to the wrong lady if you expect me to ride like you.  Everyone has her own version of normal, and this is mine.” She smiled when Felix entered the library, dressed in a pale yellow suit.
Felix returned the smile. “I hope I didn’t call at an inopportune hour and interrupt you.”
“You have much to learn about calling etiquette,” Mrs. Upshur lectured.
Jinx ignored this lecture from her summer chaperone. “I was only reading Thomas Blount’s Glossographiafor the umpteenth time.  This book’s over a century old, and full of obscure words I love finding a chance to use in my school compositions.  How many people know and use words like celeripedean, rhedarious, murklins, gardeviance, and tragematopolist?”
“Nobody should, least of all not a lady.” Mrs. Upshur grimaced at the offending book. “You must not endeavor to unsex yourself.”
“With all due respect, I’m not sure I believe in the concept of unsexing.” Jinx stood up and gave Felix her arm. “We’ll return before supper.”
“You most certainly shall, or such an unsupervised meeting shan’t come again soon.”
Jinx led Felix out of the library, down the main hall of the first floor, and into a large gala hall which look out onto the garden through central apse glass doors. A young slave in a dark pink dress and an older, tall slave in a pale green suit stopped their animated conversation on a recent scandal with another house slave and opened the doors.
“How long did it take to get used to this cavernous estate?” Felix asked on their way to the stables. “I imagine this is much larger than either of your other residences.”
“I dislike all the unnecessary space, but it’s not my home to dictate rules for.” Jinx opened the stable door and walked to a spotted horse. “This is my favorite, though no one can take the place of Xanthos and Balios at home.”
“Named after the immortal horses of Achilles I presume?”
“Who else?” Jinx smiled at Felix as he helped her onto the horse. “Are you able to stay to supper?”
“Now that you mention it, I certainly am.” Felix climbed onto a white horse. “I insist you honor my lodgings with your presence next time.  But for now, all we need to do is enjoy the ride.”
And so they did.



BLOG HOP SCHEDULE

Thur. April 18th: L.G. Keltner https://lgkeltner.blogspot.com/

Fri. April 19th: Jennifer Lane http://jenniferlanebooks.blogspot.com

Sat. April 20th: Deborah Solice https://thefabulistdotblog.wordpress.com/

Mon. April 22nd: CD Gallant-King http://www.cdgallantking.ca/

Tues. April 23rd: Elizabeth Mueller https://elizabethmueller.blogspot.com/

Wed. April 24th: Chelsea Marie Ballard https://www.facebook.com/masqueradeoddlysuited

Thurs. April 25th: Carrie-Ann Brownian http://carrieannebrownian.wordpress.com

Fri. April 26th: Myles Christensen www.myleschristensen.com

Sat. April 27th: Anstice Brown https://dustingthesoul.com

Mon. April 29th: Angela Brown http://publishness.blogspot.com/

Tues. Apr 30th: Book Release and The Unmasking (Just follow links above)!


Comments

L. Diane Wolfe said…
When those two get married, Mrs. Upshur will come undone. I'd love to know what Jinx's parents thought.
Jennifer Lane said…
Mrs. Upshur sure sounds like a bee-atch, L. Diane!
L.G. Keltner said…
Mrs. Upshur is a real stick in the mud. I would take great delight in irritating someone like her!
Chelsea said…
Jinx totally reminds me of the new rough n tough Alice from Alice in Wonderland. And I love it! ��
Jennifer Lane said…
LG, me too!

Chelsea, good comparison!
I love the prose rhythm of this piece! *sigh*
This is totally Agatha Christie, right?
Ride sidesaddle and you'll just fall off the damn horse!
Anstice Brown said…
Jinx is my kind of heroine. I would feel so stifled living in a place like that. I'm glad Jinx doesn't allow her fire to dim.
Jennifer Lane said…
Elizabeth, the writing gives you a feel for the era, doesn't it?

CD, minus the murder mystery?

Alex, right? Ridiculous!

Anstice, stifling is a good word for it. I'd like to stifle Mrs. Upshur.